A Georgia resident who was doubtless contaminated whereas swimming in a freshwater lake or pond has died from a uncommon mind consuming amoeba an infection, the Georgia Division of Public Well being stated.
“A Georgia resident has died from Naegleria fowleri an infection, a uncommon an infection which destroys mind tissue, inflicting mind swelling and often demise,” the well being division stated in a information launch Friday. “The person was doubtless contaminated whereas swimming in a freshwater lake or pond in Georgia.”
Naegleria fowleri is an amoeba that lives in soil and heat freshwater lakes, rivers, ponds and sizzling springs. It’s not present in salt water, correctly handled consuming water or swimming swimming pools, in line with the discharge.
“Previous to this newly confirmed case of Naegleria fowleri an infection, there have been 5 different instances reported in Georgia since 1962,” the discharge stated.
From 1962 to 2021, solely 4 out of 154 individuals in the US survived a brain-eating amoeba an infection, in line with the US Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention.
Earlier this month, the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Well being stated a 2-year-old boy died from a brain-eating amoeba an infection doubtless contracted at a pure sizzling spring. In February, Florida officers stated a resident died from the amoeba after a sinus rinse with faucet water.
Indicators and signs of an infection are initially extreme complications, fever, nausea and vomiting they usually can progress to a stiff neck, seizures, hallucinations, and coma. The an infection is handled with a mixture of medication, together with the antibiotic azithromycin, the antifungal fluconazole, the antimicrobial drug miltefosine and the corticosteroid dexamethasone.
#Georgia #resident #dies #Naegleria #fowleri #braineating #amoeba #an infection #CNN